What is a Pessary?
A silicone device designed to be worn inside the vagina to provide mechanical support to the pelvic organs.
Studies have shown:
- Most women can be successfully fit with a pessary when they present with prolapse
- Complications of pessary use are usually minor and vaginal discharge is the most common complaint
- Satisfaction rates with pessary use are very high
- Pessaries help prevent worsening in stage of prolapse over 12 months
- During the post-natal period, pessaries have been shown to reduce the stage of prolapse and the reduce the size of genital hiatus
- Pessaries provide feedback on pressure of exercise through the pelvis
- Pessaries can improve self-esteem by helping women return to ‘normal life’