A pessary is a silicone device designed to be worn inside the vagina to provide mechanical support to the pelvic organs.
– Most women can be successfully be fit with a pessary when they present with pelvic organ prolapse
– Complications of pessary use are usually minor and vaginal discharge is the most common complaint
– Satisfaction rates with pessary use are very high
– Pessaries help prevent worsening in stage of prolapse over 12 months
– During the post-natal period, pessaries have been shown to reduce the stage of prolapse and the reduce the size of genital hiatus
– Pessaries provide feedback on pressure of exercise through the pelvis
– Pessaries can improve self-esteem by helping women return to ‘normal life’
If you think you may have Pelvic Organ Prolapse or need assistance in the treatment or management of Pelvic Organ Prolapse then come and see Bonnie, our Women’s Health Physiotherapist at Bend + Mend Physiotherapy in Sydney’s CBD.